COVID-19 NOTICE* (Updated 3/9/2020)
We are going ahead with this year’s PPE Society Conference in New Orleans. Some people have had to cancel, which we of course understand, but a good number are still planning on coming. The one thing that would change that plan is the declaration of an emergency in Louisiana or New Orleans (or something similarly dramatic). We have been assured that the Pere Marquette, following Marriott’s policy, has put in place safety protocols to ensure as safe and healthy conference as is possible under the circumstances.
We hope it will make sense for you to join us in New Orleans.
We encourage you to follow the recommendations below to help keep the community safe:
- Get a flu vaccine
- Wash hands often and for at least 20 seconds each time
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your nose and mouth with something disposable (like a tissue) when you cough or sneeze; throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should always be used if hands are visibly dirty.
- Clean frequently touched items such as cell phones. On your way by plane? Clean the tray table, screens, windows, arm rests, and air vents of your airplane seating area.
- Refrain from shaking hands or hugging.
- Get creative with your alternative greetings
We are monitoring developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and will notify participants if we need to change those plans. The outbreak is of high risk to travelers and no precautions are available to protect against the identified increased risk. Information about the coronavirus is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s travel health notices. We encourage you to consult these official U.S. travel advisories. (Recently, the CDC and the U.S. Department of State, have assigned heightened travel advisories for China, Iran, Italy, Japan, and South Korea.)
Our venue hotel has taken steps to ensure a safe meeting, including increasing the amount of hand sanitizer available, and providing disinfecting wipes in every meeting room.